So your invitation comes back from the printer, now what? Is there a special order they should go in when assembling them? Turns out, there is. Some printers will include a mock-up for you. But in case yours didn’t, here’s my instruction sheet.
You can download it in pdf format HERE.
1. Address outer (mailing) envelopes with the guest names and full address.
2. Address inner envelopes (if any) with guest names only.
3. Lay invitation face up.
4. Place tissue over the writing. Using tissue is optional. Tissue was originally used to keep ink from smudging. No longer a concern today, it is completely up to the couple if they want to adhere to the tradition.
5. Layer enclosures (if any) large to small and face up, on top of tissue (the largest enclosure would be closest to the invitation).
6. Put a stamp on the response envelope.
7. Tuck response card, face up, under the flap of the response envelope (the flap will cover part of the writing). Place on top of the enclosures (or tissue) with the response card face up.
8. If using an inner envelope: slip the resulting stack inside the inner envelope. The back of the invitation should rest on the inside of the flap as you insert the stack. Folded edge first (or left edge first if invitations are not folded). Fold the flap, but do not seal the inner envelope. If you are not using an inner envelope: slip the resulting stack inside the outer envelope. The back of the invitation should rest on the inside of the flap as you insert the stack. Folded edge first (or left edge first if invitations are not folded). Seal, stamp and mail!
9. Place inner envelope inside the outer (mailing) envelope with the names on the inner envelope facing up. When the outer envelope is opened, guests will see their names. Seal, stamp and mail!
Keep in mind, the actual assembly of your invitations may vary depending upon how traditional they are. Overall, your guests should see their names on the inner envelope as the mailing envelope is opened, and should read the response card when the inner envelope is opened.